End-to-end testing is one of the most important tools in your tool belt. Depending on your current environment set up, there are known problems that teams run into with e2e testing, which can make it slower than it should be.
Several factors contribute to this:
- Fragile or flaky tests
- Testing too late in your pipeline or CI/CD
- Lack of available test environments (literally waiting for the environment to free up)
- Database with seed data isn’t set up correctly or gets corrupted
- Failing tests because your staging environment is missing dependencies
There is no question E2E testing can be challenging. So how can you solve these issues? Add ephemeral environments to your SDLC and stop waiting on Staging!
E2E testing with ephemeral environments
To help speed up your e2e tests, you should run them against full-stack, isolated and independent environments. At Shipyard, we live and breathe ephemeral environments, also known as preview environments, testing environments, temporary environments, release environments or, in some cases, PR environments.
Think of them as exact copies of your production environment where all your services and dependencies run (front end, back end, databases, etc.). With Environments-as-a-Service (EaaS), you can shift left, testing early and often.
We will discuss and demo how to use these environments within your existing SDLC to speed up your E2E testing and learn more about:
- Surfacing and fixing flaky tests
- Moving faster by “testing before merge”
- Using Cypress locally to test against remote environments
- Using Cypress within your CI/CD to programmatically run tests as PRs are created
- Leveraging Database snapshots to fix broken tests and surface regressions
- Enabling teams to test in parallel against full stack environments
- How Shipyard enables QA, Devops, and Testing teams to use Cypress on every code change while managing the lifecycle of your environments
Learn how to make Cypress tests faster by integrating with Shipyard
Join Ely Lucas, Developer Experience Engineer at Cypress, Marisa Smith, Developer Advocate and Benjie De Groot, Co-founder, both from Shipyard, Wednesday, May 24th 2023 at 11 am EST for a webinar on ephemeral (preview) environments!
Take advantage of this opportunity to optimize your testing process and improve your development velocity! Hope to see you there.